Thursday, February 22, 2007

Voss


On a recent visit to Norway for work I decided to pack my snowboard, extend my stay and head for the mountains. After my three day course in Bergen I had a day free before moving on to my next destination. Whilst gathering all the local information I could find on where to go snowboarding in the local area I was assured that Voss would not dissapoint.
The deal is pretty simple you turn up to Bergen central railway station pay 400 NOK 80 AUD and that includes train to and from Voss pluss your lift ticket. Train departs somewhere around 0830 in the morning and takes something over 1 hour from memory.
It was looking like a miserable day with no shortage of rain but i shouldn't have been surprised. Just before my arrival there had been 80 consecutive days with rainfall. Every local had a opinion on the figure somewhere between 80 and 89 so im still not sure. It's still very impressive and probably leaves us Australians a little emotional.
On arriving in Voss it was still raining and looking grim. However on reaching the bottom of the slope after a cable car ride up, it turned out to be snowing fat chunks of powder snow. Being a Friday it was extremely quiet with just a few groups of students on excursion getting about. Lift waits were non existent, a rare delight from my days on the mountains back home.

Voss has a really good variety of terrains ranging from beginners to advanced. Couldn't find much on the terrain park situation although I wasn't really keen on killing myself being the first day back on the board in a while. It's a fair sized mountain and I can't say I got to see the majority of it. The other advantage with Voss is that there are plenty of chairlifts unlike some other places in Norway where Tbars aplenty can make a snowboarders day much more painfull.

Apart from a little rain on lower parts of the slopes it was great conditions, snowboarding most of the day on groomed runs and small sections of off piste. I would definitely like to go back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home